Weekend Cooking

These first two recipes don't even really need recipes, but these are a good start to add whatever you want. 
My mom always made ham and beans growing up and I wasn't the biggest fan.  I did like the ham in it and loved the cornbread.  As I got older, I tried my dad's version of ham and beans.  You have to add some ketchup, Tabasco or a little juice from the pickled jalapenos.  If you know my dad you know he likes it HOT!   I had never made anything with dried beans until this recipe.  Why???  I didn't know what to do with them, but I love beans!  I had a ham hock in my freezer from a spiral cut ham so I picked up a lb bag of Northen White beans and let it go in my crock pot all day.  I am still the only one in my house that likes them, but thats ok!  I portion them out into single servings and freeze them.  They thaw out wonderfully and are even better when reheated!

(Picture from this blog)

1 lb bag of dried White Northern Beans
6 cups water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
ham hock (if you have it, gives great flavor) and/or diced ham about 1lb.  I don't know why bacon wouldn't work in there too!
***Rinse the beans and pick out any bad ones, ugly ones,etc. Put everything in your crock pot and let cook for 7-8 hours.  The orginal recipe said 6 hours and the beans are done by them, but I like the beans kinda falling apart and thickening the "sauce".  Don't forget to add your ketchup and make them spicy!!!




I also stole this pic from Pinterest.  I am not a food photographer unless I am sending pics to my sisters about something wonderful I am eating!  Lol

I have seen lots of different recipes for this Oreo Icebox cake and decided to just wing it. 

Oreo Icebox Cake

1 package of Oreos (Double Stuff would have been good too!)
1 box of instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk for pudding
1 tub of Cool Whip
Chocolate Syrup (optional)

Make your pudding like the box says.  Let it set up for 5-10 minutes in the fridge. Fold in 2/3 of the Cool Whip tub into the pudding.  Line a 8x8 square pan with a layer of Oreos, top with half the pudding, another layer of Oreo's, then the rest of the pudding.  Top with the rest of the Cool Whip. Garnish with chocolate syrup or crushed Oreos.  We didn't have any to crush or really enough for the recipe since we had to eat a few!  :-)  Best when this sets overnight so the Oreos get soft and "cake like".  I think Brynlee likes this the best!  She almost ran Molly over last night to share with her.  She knows the girls will feed her like a little bird.




No pics of this last recipe. A friend I work with gave me this recipe.  When I make it I half this recipe.  Still makes a lot!! 

Upside-Down Tator Tot Casserole

2lbs Tator Tots
1 pint sour cream  ( I used low fat)
2 cans cream of chicken ( I used 98% fat free cream of mushroom)
1 1/2 soup cans with milk
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 lbs hamburger (cooked with the onion!)
1 lb Velvetta, cubed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups corn flakes  (I used crushed Saltines because that is what I had)
1/2 cup melted butter

Put Tator tots in the bottom of a 13x9 casserole dish (deeper is better!)  Mix together sour cream, soup, milk, salt and pepper.  Pour over Tator tots.  Top with cheese and cooked hamburger and onions.  Sprinkle with buttered corn flakes or cracker crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. 

I am not a Tator Tot casserole fan...at all!  But this is really good.  The whole family liked it and I like how the tator tots really cooked down.  Molly complained that she didn't get any tots.  Lol  My co-worker just mixes everything together and dumps it on tops of the tator tots.  I will do that next time too.  The layers blend together though.  Enjoy!

Comments

Sara said…
I bought Oreos today!! And we will definitely be trying that tater tot casserole because my family loves it, but I don't typically care for it much.

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado Family Trip Day #1

Family Fun Night

Fall Food