Stocking up the Freezer

Since Joe was gone last weekend, we had some lazy meals of fish sticks and take out from Don's.  So I had time to make up some meals to stick in the freezer.  I love having some casseroles or taco meat ready to be warmed up on those busy nights.  But really, what night isn't a busy night???  :-)  I thought I'd share some of my favorite meals to have in the freezer.  I have to admit some of them are so easy, there is no recipe, but they are favorites of ours!

1.   TACO MEAT - I would love a good homemade spice recipe for taco meat, but I have tried a few and always LOVE the McCormick 30% less Sodium Mix the best!  I cook up 2-3 lbs of taco meat at a time and freeze them in quart size freezer bags (1 lb per bag).  This is great to thaw out and use for tacos, nachos, tostados, quesadillas, taco salads, etc. 

2.   TACO BURGERS - I had forgotten this recipe, until a few years ago my Mom made this at her house for dinner.  I was taken back to my childhood.  This recipe was from a Kids Cookbook, Better Homes and Garden's I think.  I remember it as one of the first recipes I cooked by myself.  So easy, but so good.  I also make up 2-3lbs at a time and freeze in quart size freezer bags, 1 lb per bag!


TACO BURGERS
1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp yellow mustard
 1 tsp sugar
 1/2 tsp garlic powder

*Brown hamburger and drain.  Combine beef with the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 8-10 minutes until some moisture has evaporated and the tomatoes are cooked down.  I let it cool some before packaging into bags to freeze. 
We serve this on hamburger buns with toppings like lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, jalapenos or sour cream.  This is good with Spanish rice and beans on the side or bake up some french fries to go with it! 



3.  LASAGNA -  We are huge lasagna fans at our house.  I even made it for Ellie's birthday party, since I knew she would inhale it!  I really like the recipe below, since you don't cook the noodles.  One less step to do!  But when I make them ahead to freeze I cook the noodles.  Let me know if you have frozen a lasagna with uncooked noodles.  I worry that they won't cook up right when not cooked right away. 


LASAGNA
1 lb ground beef
2-1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, divided
1 container Cottage Cheese, large container about 2 cups
1/2 cup  KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 tsp dried parsely, or fresh if you have it
1   egg, beaten
1 jar (24 oz.) spaghetti sauce (I season up store bought sauces with garlic, basil, oregono and dried chili flakes)
1 cup  water
12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
 
**Heat oven to 350°F.

Brown meat in large skillet on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix 1-1/4 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, parsley and egg until well blended; set aside.

Drain meat; return to skillet. Stir in spaghetti sauce. Add 1 cup water to empty sauce jar; cover with lid and shake well. Add to meat mixture; stir until well blended. Spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish; top with layers of 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the cheese mixture and 1 cup meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and cheeses. Cover with greased foil.

Bake 45 hour, removing foil and bake another 15 minutes.

* When I make lasagna to freeze I cook the noodles then assemble like normal.  I like to freeze lasagna in 8x8 foil pans instead of a 13x9.  That way you have 2 meals in the freezer instead of 1!
 
4. CHICKEN AND NOODLES - I have been asked multiple times for my recipe for chicken and noodles.  I am kinda embarrased to give it too them!  They think I have either made the noodles from scratch or have slaved over a hot stove all day.  Neither is true!  At our little grocery store, so most of you in KS can find these at your stores too, are Helmuth Noodles and seasoning packets. They are made in Hutchinson, KS by a Mennonite Family.
 

These are SUPER easy to make if you have some cooked chicken on hand in your freezer!  I will cook up a batch of these and it is easily enough for two meals.  If I am making it for dinner, I leave enough for dinner and leftover for lunch the next day and freeze a container for another dinner.  You add water and some oil to the seasoning packet, bring to a boil and add the noodles.  I add the chicken when the noodles are almost done.  Serve these over mashed potatoes and some corn.  Best starchy meal ever!  Molly always says      "Ohhh, I love these noodles!!!"

I already had the noodles in the freezer, but while the girls were napping Saturday and Sunday I loaded our freezer with 2 lbs of Taco Meat, 2 lbs of Taco Burger Meat and 2 8x8 Lasagna's!  Some other recipes I like to make and freeze are enchiladas, cavatini (pasta, marinara sauce, hamburger, mushrooms, bl. olives, etc), BBQ meatballs, hashbrown potato casserole, chili, cookie dough, etc.  In the summer months, we often have bags of smoked meats like Brisket, pulled pork or smoked chicken in the freezer.  Around the holidays we always have bags of spiral cut ham frozen and ready for quick breakfast meals!  With a little planning ahead, you can make your work week so much easier!  If any of you girls have some favorite "freezer meals" let me know!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colorado Family Trip Day #1

Family Fun Night

Fall Food