Apple Pickin
Joe came home the other day and said "Grandma said he has apples on his tree and you need to come pick them!!!" I didn't need to be told twice! I had visions of homemade applesauce, apple crisp (Grandma Joann's recipe, since those were her apple trees!) and caramel apple cheesecake! So while Joe was out cutting soybeans last night, we went to Grandpa Merle's house and picked apples.
I handed down apples to them and they looked at them like I was crazy! Like "we can really eat these?"
Then they tried them and they chomped and chomped on them!!! They are Granny Smith's and we got to pick the rest of the tree. Grandpa Merle even climbed the ladder (much to my protesting!! He just got two new knees!) and picked more! So I hope to make applesauce for the girls and an apple crisp for Joe this weekend!
Ellie said she wanted to mow with Daddy the other night, so she mowed until it was time to mow the steep hills in the backyard.
Last Sunday before church, Ellie wanted to wear her jean jacket. Which looked super cute with her denim jumper and new Pediped shoes!!! But she worked forever to get the buttons buttoned. It drove her nuts!!!
She tried different approaches to it, until she finally asked me to take it off and went to church without a jacket!
Sunday night we had our annual ice cream social at church! My ice cream maker bit the dust last summer, but I still volunteered to make ice cream! I figured someone had an ice cream maker I could borrow! Well Tara came to the rescue, or should I say her mom Pam came to the rescue! Pam had found an old electric ice cream maker at an estate sale, but Tara had never tried it out. So we didn't know if this thing would even work. I cleaned it up and called a friends step mom for her wonderful ice cream recipe and gave a it a try! It made a wonderful batch of ice cream and we are still enjoying the leftovers. If you need a new vanilla recipe, you should try this one! Nothing low-fat about it, but really that isn't what ice cream is about, right?
Vanilla Ice Cream
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cartons of Half and Half
4 little cartons of Whipping Cream
2 tbsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
*Blend until sugar has dissolved and pour into your ice cream maker. It took about 30-40 minutes to freeze, but that was also with turning it off when I picked Molly up from her birthday party she was at. I also made a Peach Crisp from the Pioneer Woman cookbook/blog. It wasn't done in time to take it to church, so I turned off the oven and hoped it would not be burnt or raw when I got home. It was perfect and yummy when we got home! That blog has the best recipes!!!
Comments
Used to make a lot of jelly this way...